Sunday, May 8, 2011

Making Gluten Free More Palatable

Last weekend I had some bananas that were about to go bad, so I decided to make banana muffins.  Of course, I couldn't make any old banana muffins because (remember?) I am allergic to wheat.

I remembered that there was a recipe for banana bread on the back of the bag for Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Baking Flour, so I decided to give it a go.  I made my usual modification, substituting half of the flour with Trader Joe's Almond Meal, and the results were rather tasty.  In fact, the boys liked the muffins so much that they brought them for snacks three times.

Here's the recipe, originally from Bob's Red Mill, with my changes.

Gluten Free Banana Muffins

Ingredients
  • 1/3 cup canola oil
  • 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 cup Bob's Red Mill GF All-Purpose Baking Flour
  • 3/4 cup almond meal
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 1/4 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cup mashed bananas
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line muffin tins.
  2. Cream together oil, sugar, eggs, and vanilla in large bowl with electric mixer.
  3. Add flour, almond meal, baking powder, cinnamon, xanthan gum, and salt to egg mixer, alternating with bananas.  Mix until smooth.  Batter will be somewhat soft.
  4. Pour batter into muffin cups.  Bake approx. 30 minutes, until toothpick inserted removes clean.
Yeah, the texture isn't quite the same as a muffin made with flour, but it's not bad.  My father, who thinks this whole gluten-free thing is torturous, said that the muffin was "alright."  Trust me, from him, that's high praise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment