Friday, February 18, 2011

Eat Your Veggies

I know, with a title like this, you'd expect to see a recipe for a vegetarian dish. Yeah, not gonna happen in this house. Instead, I tried to hide them my twist on Shepherd's Pie, which is a mashup on these recipes from Simply Recipes and Rachael Ray.

Tater Topped Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1-2 cups vegetables, such as chopped carrots, corn, peas, etc.
  • 2-3 TBSP butter
  • 1/3 cup beef broth
  • 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
  • Shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1/2 bag Tater Tots

 Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 deg F
  2. Melt butter in large frying pan
  3. Saute onions in butter, over medium heat, until tender (10 minutes).  Add carrots with onions.  Other vegetables (corn, pease, etc.) can be added after onions are tender, or after the ground beef has browned.
  4. Add ground beef and saute until no longer pink.  Add Worcestershire sauce and beef broth.  Cook uncovered for 10 minutes, adding more broth as needed to keep meat moist.
  5. Place beef and vegetables in baking dish.  Cover with a layer of shredded cheese.
  6. Top with a layer of Tater Tots.
  7. Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes or until topping is brown and cheese is bubbling.
Disclosure:  Not all of my kids like this.  My oldest will eat a bite or two, but no more.  My middle one will finish his entire portion.  This is the only way my youngest will eat carrots, corn, or any other vegetables I put in, but how much he eats is a crapshoot.  On the other hand, my husband loves  this.

0 comments:

Post a Comment